‘Teachers teach someone something....

Kindergarten, Community United Methodist School
...in that order."
⏤ Samuel Natale


When I moved to "the States," I was a fish out of water.

I stuck out in the little, suburban Ohio city where my family had moved to so my step-father could attend graduate school. I was the "new girl with the weird name."

Despite being just as "American" (in the eyes of the government...but let's be honest, the real Americans are the indigenous people whose land was stolen from them...but I digress), I felt like I was initially seen like I was from a foreign land. That quickly changed once my classmates realized I didn't struggle with things people from foreign lands (who don't speak English) struggle with.

In fact (let's be honest...), I showed them up.

*brushes shoulders*

        ...

*facepalm*

I'm just joking. Sort of. 😬

I felt super prepared and weirdly "well traveled" when, in fact, I hadn't really been anywhere. I really do think I have to attribute my adaptability and treasure trove of knowledge (this big head/brain) to my teachers and the diversity around every corner on the island of St. Croix.

(I also need to recognize that I had the PRIVILEGE of a fantastic education on a tropical island. Not everyone gets those opportunities or the kind of exposure to things that I've had. It's a different vibe. ALSO...Okay...tangent: I struggled with this post because I wanted to do something honoring the amazing teachers I had growing up on St. Croix...but I also realize my experience growing up isn't the norm for most on island [or is it? you tell me...] I was fortunate to have had private school education, and sadly, those resources aren't extended to the public sector. Especially after all these years and after all the hurricanes and lack of true, helpful government funding or intervention, the education experience HAD to have changed. I just want to represent my home as honestly as possible...can you tell I'm an over-thinker?)

Because of how influential my teachers on island were, I understand the value of quality and supported educators. It is a shame that now more than ever teachers are dipping into their earnings to support the needs of their classrooms, working after hours to meet the needs of the students as well as the guidelines mandated by the school and state, and sacrificing their emotional well being as the advocate and sounding board of students and families. Now more than ever, teachers need our support. Without the backbone to the entire education system, we as a society wouldn't be able to stand on our own two feet. Without teachers, we would have no leaders, because teachers show us how to lead by example.

In honor of #TeacherAppreciationWeek, I want to honor and say "Thank you" (#thankateacher) to my teachers growing up, all the teachers in the Caribbean who work so hard despite the odds, and to the best teacher of all, my island home, St. Croix in the USVI. My experiences and the exposure to varying cultures, religions, and practices is the best gift I've ever been afforded.

The American Federation of Teachers (AFT) is celebrating Teacher Appreciation Week, National Nurses Week and Public Service Recognition Week this week with the “Thank a Hero” sweepstakes. Learn how to nominate your hero (or yourself) today: www.aft.org/thankahero. Support St. Croix's local chapter of AFT: Click here for more info.

I dedicate this post to all the educators in my family (and aspiring ones) and all the educators back home who still influence me to this day. Whether you chose the profession or it chose you...thank you for always leading by example and showing the importance of quality education.

Here's the cute stuff: (if you see yourself, comment below!)

Pre-K4, Community United Methodist School

1st Grade, Mrs. Dedinsky's class
St. Croix Country Day School
2nd Grade, Mrs. William's class
St. Croix Country Day School
3rd Grade, Mrs. Martin's class
St. Croix Country Day School
4th Grade, Mrs. Walt's class
St. Croix Country Day School

5th Grade, I'm blanking on my teacher's name...,
St. Croix Country Day School


Do you have a story or special memory of an influential teacher in your life? Please share below in the comments!


and as if you needed a reminder ↴

WHY TEACHERS REALLY MATTER:






Til next time,
Solange
xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A note about Mothers on Mother's Day

You and I are brother and sister forever...